PLACED AT SCHLUMBERGER
1) Why did you select this particular field? What options were available to you during placements?
I always wanted to work in a tough and demanding environment. I got to know about Schlumberger through my seniors in my 2nd year and right from then, their stories have kept me aspiring to secure a chance to be in such a challenging atmosphere. To me, the oil industry and the consulting firms seemed the ones which could be a good fit for the kind of work I desire. These were the main industries I focussed on during my placements.
2) How did you get into Schlumberger? What was the selection procedure?
Schlumberger visited the campus on Day-1, the selection procedure was resume shortlist followed by Personal Interviews.
3) Can you describe your work profile/average day for us and tell us whether it was what you expected when you sat for placements?
My work profile is related to Oil and Gas Wells Drilling Engineering, Operations and Planning. So my schedule is a balance of both, being on oil fields for the Operations and in the office for the Well Engineering and Planning work.
4) How would you describe the work culture in your company? How is the work-life balance?
Schlumberger gives an opportunity to work with people coming from different countries, cultures, and backgrounds, which gives a very good international exposure. Also, it is a very established firm in this industry which gives a plethora of opportunity to contribute and rise beyond the position one is working for. The work life balance here is quite different from all other industries. The oil field believes in vacation system after days of rigorous work in the fields, because being on the fields means staying disconnected with the rest of the world in far off remote places with minimal facilities. Some people spend vacations to travel around while other spend time with their families etc to relax, away from the work.
5) Any specific advice you want to give to the junta sitting for placements this year and to the juniors who aspire to be in Schlumberger?
The first step for everyone is to understand if one truly wants a lifestyle like this since this kind of life is very demanding. For this, talk to as many people working in this industry as possible. Next step is ensuring that the CV aligns to Schlumberger requirements and prove that one is indeed a good fit to this. I wish all the very best to everyone preparing for the placement processes.