PLACED IN ITC
1)Why did you select this particular field? What options were available to you during placements?
I aimed at FMCG because of the skill set I had and the kind of opportunities in the sector. It gives you an opportunity to apply your core skills while giving enough exposure to managerial aspects. The other companies I aimed at were consulting, core, and finance.
2)How did you get into ITC? What was the selection procedure?
The selection procedure involves shortlisting of CVs, a psychometric test, a group discussion, and personal interviews. The psychometric test is not a filtering criterion, though.
- The CV shortlist is based on CGPA, your interns/projects and managerial involvements in the campus.
- The psychometric test is not a filtering criterion but used to gauge the personality of the candidate
- The group discussion tries to bring out the most dominant trait or quality of the candidate. For example, you might be given a situation wherein you are supposed to choose a person for a task, in a set of people, each with a different trait. The way you convince others why that person is suited for the given job while being receptive to others’ perspective determines the outcome of group discussion round.
- Personal Interview is of two rounds(usually) – Technical and HR. There might be HR related questions in the technical round and vice versa. To clear the technical round, be thorough with the basics. Be sure to know the physical meaning/ interpretation of the formulae/ concepts apart from the formulae themselves. Take feedback from seniors as to what kind of questions could be expected. Most importantly, be extremely thorough with every minute detail mentioned in your CV. Try to think of questions that can come up on the points mentioned in your CV. For the HR interview, prepare for all the routinely asked questions and try to explain how your CV points align with your interests/goals.
3) Can you describe your work profile/average day for us and tell us whether it was what you expected when you sat for placements?
The Work profile you’ll be hired for is a manager. You’re expected to come up with ideas to solve issues and bring improvement in your area. This is expected to be done with the help of a team. The most important thing in this process is to identify the roadblocks and come up with solutions by utilizing the resources effectively.
4) How would you describe the work culture in your company? How is the work-life balance?
The work culture is best described as being trustees to the company. All are responsible for a task. Working hours are a bit long with six-day-a-week for positions in manufacturing units.
5)Any specific advice you want to give for junta sitting for placements this year and for juniors who aspire to be in ITC?
My advice to placement junta- Select 1-2 types of companies(e.g. core, consult) and aim for those type of companies. Talk to those who are placed in those and get insights. Your preparation should be company-specific. While getting placed in a good company is important, be sure you want to work in that sector. Campus placement isn’t the end of our career. You can always switch to a better job after your first placement. Don’t let the placement pressure get to your head. Be supportive to your friends and help each other out. Be confident and speak your mind in the interviews. All the best!